LISTEN TO THE PODCAST
Leadership requires an intense amount of commitment, drive and hard work. How can you lead well in a way that can be sustained long-term? There are Biblical leadership fundamentals that can help you fulfill your Kingdom mission without experiencing burnout. These essential truths center around the following five areas: presence, purpose, plans, perseverance, and people.
I’m learning that my ability to sift difficulty, pain and pressure through the Word of God is vital. This ability comes through a basic foundation – my relationship with the Lord. Everything I need can be found in His presence where my purpose will ultimately be revealed. Pursuing His purpose for my life will allow me to make plans that align with the Lord’s desires for my life.
God’s “presence, purpose and plans” have been on my heart for several months. Recently, the Lord has given me further revelation into two additional key fundamentals: perseverance and people.
You don’t just drift into your best life; fulfillment of your calling will require you to dig deep and persevere. James 1:4 tells us, “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.”
Often, perseverance requires a process called acclimatization. Alison Levine, polar explorer and mountaineer, says, “Climbing Mount Everest is not straightforward. In fact, the progression is similar to maintaining a strong organizational vision.” She describes how climbers’ bodies have to get acclimated very slowly, and progress requires going from basecamp up to higher altitudes and back down. If you can persevere even when it looks like you’re going completely backward, you’ll be well on the way to your destination.
There’s no legacy or influence without people. Likewise, there’s no influence with people without connection. Connection breaks down when we’re afraid to share the truth going on inside of us or afraid to see the truth in someone else. Respectful leadership communication values everyone’s thoughts, needs and feelings, which fosters connection.
Effective leaders must be skilled in the area of connecting with people, despite their scars. We all have scars, even the young among us. Scars represent what you’ve been through and the battles you’ve fought. They’re real. They’re authentic.
I hear the Lord say the same to us. Don’t be ashamed of your scars. He uses scarred people to do powerful things for the Kingdom.
Subscribe to the Pinnacle Leaders Podcast with Dr. Langley to listen to the podcast episode we released containing more on the topic of avoiding leadership burnout. You’ll also find Biblical wisdom on the areas of lordship, leadership and lifestyle.
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership (PT511) – In this online course, available through Christian Life School of Theology Global (CLSTG), students will study and learn to apply the 21 laws of leadership as defined and written by Dr. John Maxwell. Clear, practical, and life-changing, this course offers a wealth of practical insights on what it takes to be an effective leader. Get started with this online course today: https://www.christianlifeschooloftheologyglobal.org/course/the-21-irrefutable-laws-of-leadership-pt511/
- Understanding and Overcoming Adversity (PT657) – This online course available through Christian Life School of Theology Global (CLSTG) offers life-changing insights on Christian difficulties - the troubles believers encounter due to our faith, righteousness, witness, or ministry. It expounds Jesus' cryptic warning, "Tribulation or persecution arise because of the Word" (Matt 13:21), and explores how God uses these very adversities to achieve His higher kingdom purposes. Learn more about this course by visiting: https://clstgo-clstglobalonlinelearning.talentlms.com/catalog/info/id:538
- On the Edge by Alison Levine – On the Edge is an engaging leadership manual that provides concrete insights garnered from various extreme environments ranging from Mt. Everest to the South Pole. Get your copy on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Edge-Leadership-Lessons-Everest-Environments/dp/1455544876/ref=sr_1_1?crid=SFBUZSI9Y1JP&keywords=on+the+edge+alison+levine&qid=1626382106&sprefix=on+the+edge%2Caps%2C332&sr=8-1
- Finishing Well by Bob Buford – This book gives you a chance to sit at the feet of dozens of people over age 40 who have pioneered the art of finishing well. You can shift into a far more fulfilling life now, no matter your age, and pursue a lasting significance that will be a legacy for future generations. Get your copy on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Finishing-Well-Adventure-Beyond-Halftime/dp/031033070X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1626382259&sr=1-2
QUOTES & SCRIPTURE TO REMEMBER
- “A person may have many ideas concerning God’s plan for his life,
but only the designs of his purpose will succeed in the end.” ~ Proverbs 19:21
- “Truth’s shining light guides me in my choices and decisions; the revelation of your word makes my pathway clear.” ~ Psalm 119:105
- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” ~ Proverbs 3:5-6
- “You were created on purpose, for a purpose.” ~ Dr. Randal Langley
- “Tell your people how much you need them. That’s not weak; that’s connection.” ~ Dr. Randal Langley
- “The Lord uses scarred people to do powerful things for the Kingdom.” ~ Dr. Randal Langley