This course is a history of the early Church, spanning from its origins to the Council of Chalcedon [kâl’-sĭ-dən] in A.D. 451. Along with a general overview, special attention will be paid to the notable people, movements, and traditions that have created a rich heritage for the modern day Church.
There will also be discussion of some notable fables that have emerged, such as “The DaVinci Code,” and other revisionist history.
Studying church history gives believers foundation, frees us from the limited view of the present, and helps us better understand the Lord Jesus Christ. Be enriched by one of our most popular courses: The History of the Early Church (HT510).
- Provide general knowledge of the growth and changes in the early Christian Church. (Knowledge)
- Cite examples of early Church beliefs, practices, and controversies in comparison to various modern day issues. (Application)
- Explain similarities and differences of notable people and movements. (Comprehension and Evaluation)
- Distinguish between the doctrines of the Eastern and Western Churches. (Analysis and Synthesis)
- Contrast factual history with revisionist fables. (Analysis and Synthesis)
- Categorize and evaluate the overriding motifs of the early Church. (Synthesis and Evaluation)
ABOUT DR. STANLEY FLEMING
Dr. Stanley Fleming has been in ministry for over 30 years as Christian educator, lead pastor, and mission’s pastor. Besides teaching on the history of the early church, he is the author of several apologetic books.
He is the president of Gate Breaker Ministries (GBM), a mobile ministry, through which he has ministered in dozens of countries. GBM has started two churches and eighteen schools in Pakistan. Six of the schools are for disadvantaged women and twelve are for slave children who are forced to work twelve hours a day in brick yards. GBM has also helped to start a Bible college for pastors in Kenya.
He earned a bachelor’s degree, majoring in Elementary Education, from the University of Nevada in Reno, a Master of Arts in Teaching from Whitworth College in Spokane, Washington, and a Doctorate of Practical Ministry from Northwest Graduate School of the Ministry in Kirkland, Washington. Besides being on our faculty, Dr. Fleming is also on the faculty of Ecola Bible School in Cannon Beach, OR.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 10 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes